Saturday 5 November 2011

White Noise

I'm moving today!!

I didn't dare get too excited or "diarise" my housing situation beyond generic, political comment, but yesterday, after jumping through more hoops than a prize poodle at Crufts, I became the proud owner of the biggest bunch of keys you ever saw.

When we were initially told we had to move, we found a little house a few roads away. It was "meh". Somewhere to live, but a depressing squeeze on our already hopelessly crammed living space. We took it because we had to have a home, but there was no va-va-voom (hat tip to some French car company.....)

Just three weeks before we were due to move, it all fell through. In a bit of  haze, Dave and I sprang into action, and within an hour had 5 viewings booked.

The first was tiny, like an Alice in Wonderland version of home. The second was demoralising. Like an actress with new Double-Ds, the stunning sea views fronted a hell hole of damp and splinters. The third had grills at the window!!

Despairing and sniffing the scent of failure, (or possibly mould) we trudged on to No.4.

I'm not quite sure what happened or how, but I can only assume the universe let off some kind of magic spark.

We pulled up outside an elegant mansion with an ornate York stone doorway, set in perfectly manicured gardens. I know the area well, it's full of these old, turn-of-the-century mansions, most split into rabbit warrens of 12 or 14 bedsits. The area is beautiful, quiet and waiting-for-God-genteel.

With the cynicism of the day shifting uncomfortably, we peeked nervously through the front door.

The entrance hall was rather grand if I remember, but to be honest, I was too busy picking my jaw up from the floor as the agent opened the door to the flat. We walked into a vast lounge with carved stucco ceilings that reached to the stars. The corner of the room was a light-drenched, elegant bay with 8 ft high windows. Acres of wooden flooring met an open fireplace with a marble surround.

I think we just stood there saying Oh My God quite a lot. I DO remember that it is the only time in 17 years that my husband hasn't fiddled with sash windows, tutting darkly, or tapped walls with an air of one who suspects damp.

The boys just shrieked a lot and developed knee-slide techniques that will no doubt see them through many a happy rainy afternoon.

I was almost too scared to see any other rooms. With the seafront flat still fresh in our minds, I was convinced there must be an abattoir in the kitchen or squatters in the bathroom.

Next, was an enormous bedroom with the same beautiful ceilings and more 8 ft bay windows, then another huge bedroom, then a huge bathroom, then a new kitchen, then - I'm sure I didn't dream it - a beautiful, ancient conservatory. We took it there and then.

There is even a "camp" hidden away in the bushes at the bottom of the garden, that my kids are convinced was left by the fairies just for them, so perfect and mossy and hidden away is it.

So I'll be off for a bit. We're not nearly packed, but an army of helpers are marching towards Worthing as we speak. A chilli that could feed Wembley is on the stove, ready for hungry workers.

Dave and I seem to have appalling luck, always in crisis, yet somehow, just at the 11th hour, we fall on our feet. I have no idea how this flat was within our budget, no idea why there weren't the customary Worthing to London queues to see anything that you could actually live in. I'm just glad it was and there weren't

I won't have broadband for a bit, so don't let me down welfare warriors! Tweet, blog, write to your MPs, email - Don't you let them get away with any fibs while I'm de-webbed will you? You know how I'll fret. Watch those #wrb committees and try somehow to give Lord Fraud a conscience......OK, that's too much to ask, but do what you can ;)

See you soon!

26 comments:

  1. I shook the mojo-stick pretty hard in the hopes you'd get a break and find something beautiful, and I'm glad you have! Settle in, enjoy and will see you when we see you - my own move in a week, packing away here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even room to park the disability Bentley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad for you! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Packing Solidarity Oya's Daughter!! Bloody awful isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine Hughes5 November 2011 at 12:54

    Sue, I am delighted for you. All the very best in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pleased for you and all the best in your wonderful new home barbsisi :D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really pleased for you all. Just had my own move into a disabled-friendly flat, courtesy of my local council and a housing association. Hope you get settled in soon, get your spoons back and re-webbed. We'll see you on Twitter before then I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No fretting - just enjoy your new home - love to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your move....


    It's November and I have just been stung by a dam wasp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, I'm trying to get rehoused at the mo so I empathise with the nightmare.

    Take care of yourselves, and I hope you enjoy your new palace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OckletyCockletyWitch5 November 2011 at 15:35

    That is brilliant news - I am so glad for you and your family! Rest assured we will all keep a beady eye on the ConDems while you are incommunicado. I hope you have loads of fun making the new place your own and look forward to reading you again when you are back online and have a spare moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the best Sue, you so deserved a break and I hope you will be very happy in your new home. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic news -good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shameless blog plug, the BBC complaints office has responded to me. It's a whitewash.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Mason Dixon, Autistic
    Yesterday I began a rush with the little spare time I had to capture the words before they were gone and I can not hope that the BBC will release a transcript themselves as I asked when I made my complaint about the programme.

    You can easily download a video copy the options are at the bottom of the iplayer video.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing it once was all most needed, and sadly today we are hearing of another program being made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had checked beforehand and the download versions did not feature subtitling, which is what I depended on mostly as processing what was said and typing it would have been impossible for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Massive Congratulations on your new home. Is that Worthing West Sussex my brain is mush. Personally I secretly think a little break from campaigning due to lack of broadband will do you the world of good. The new home sounds like a breath of fresh air, high ceilings and massive windows sound just right. The exact opposite of my house! I am so very pleased for you and your family you deserve this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you and your family blessings and joy in your new home :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant news Sue. I hope it is a very happy new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is indeed excellent news I am delighted for you. All the very best in your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy that you found a place! Yes I will be drafting out a few letters to my MP and MSP's respectively :).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great share of this wonderful post. Thanks for your sharing.
    kelly handbag

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic article post.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.A round of applause for your article post.Really thank you! Want more...Sound Machines For Sleeping

    ReplyDelete